Friday, May 25, 2018

Women in Ireland this day of all days

Today, 25.5.2018 Irish voters will put a cross beside YES or NO to allow women the agency and power to decide herself, over what happens to her body, her womb, her life. I know what I'm voting.

But I wonder do we closely look at 'power & control' in our lives and see who has power & control over us? 

We women need at ask that question. and we need to vote everyday to have our own power & control over our lives.

Here are some challenging questions.

Do I have full power & control in my own life as a woman?  Yes    No

Do I have full power & control in my own life as a disabled woman?
                                                                                                  Yes    No
Do I have full power & control in my own life as an older woman?
                                                                                                  Yes    No
Do I have full power & control in my own life as an ill woman?
                                                                                                  Yes    No
Do I have full power & control in my own life as an ethnic minority  woman?
                                                                                                  Yes    No
Do I have full power & control in my own life as a Lesbian, transgender woman?
                                                                                                  Yes    No

Do I allow others make decisions for me?                                Yes   No

Do I take responsibility to ensure my own power & control    Yes   No

Do I feel powerless to own my own power and control            Yes  No

Am I forced, coerced, made, to do what someone else directs  Yes  No

Has someone used violence to subdue your power and control Yes  No

Has any medical doctor reduced, coerced, forced you to relinquish your medical understanding, knowledge of your own disability or illness

                                                                                                       Yes  No

Has any HSE official taken away your power and control in how you want your life to be supported as a sick, disabled, older woman           Yes   No

Has any family member taken away your power and control simply because you are ill, disabled, elderly                                                           Yes   No

Do men take away my power and control                                    Yes   No

Do women take away my power and control                                Yes  No

Do churches/religions/organisations take away my power and control 

                                                                                                        Yes  No

I'm sure I could go on. Perhaps you can add more challenging questions. I am hoping women who read this are going to be able to say "I am a powerful, in control of my own life woman"

We, as women, need to own power and control,

we need to take back  power and control. 

however a warning. if in a violent relationship - seek advice and support - you cannot do it alone.

Some will not want you to have Power and Control and will seek to harm you. this includes, partners who are violent, HSE officials, doctors, family members others!

Reclaim yourself - if necessary with help and support.
 Its worth it.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment