Monday, October 31, 2016

Crippledom

Ah yes, I'm getting used to 'crippledom'!  It's mighty interesting on one level whilst infuriating on another.

Tootling along in the wheelchair you often get 'the look' as Ann and I call it. The 'look' is meant to convey compassion, pity, and care but somehow comes out all wrong and only looks like cringeworthy patronising shite!  The 'look'  can be hilarious as Ann and I have graded them from 1-10 according to minor to major horror looks. We'll turn to each other and say..." Did you see 'the look' there?"

" yeh"

"4"

"I'd say 6 "

So it goes in hilarity. Or sometimes we see 'the look' together, turn to each other and at the same time say " the look" and roar with laughter.

Then it's the freebies.  The coins left behind in the coffee machine " here you have them" , subtext
" you poor cripple you" .  Or the newspaper, " no need to pay"....or the free bag pack in the supermarket because the person just will not accept your donation. "Ah no, don't bother".

Then the apologies..." Oh I'm so sorry" as they turn around and discover you are behind them. "What for? You could say but that might embarrass them. " oh sorry" is said about 10 times as you go around a busy supermarket. You feel like saying, " look mate, I" m behind you, I don't mind being behind you, don't jump as if I've got more right to a free corridor in the supermarket. I don't. I'll have to wait" .

Then the charity. " I'll pay" ( no you friggin won't)  er..." No it's alright I'll pay" , " no, please I'd be happy to pay" ( and I'd be friggin unhappy to let you) .." Ok,thank you" . Anything to get out of the situation quickly. Or the " you go ahead" in a Q I'm in . Why? I can Q just  like you.


Then the help. Well you know I don't mind the helpers. I welcome help. I like the door being held open, I like the biscuits on the top shelf being given to me, I like you running to the station person to get the ramp. Yes. I like help.  Of course it's best pre-fixed with " can I help?"

Then how about the people who judge your degree of illness/disability and pronounce your true disability/non-disability as if they really do know better than the tests results, the consultants or yourself. Self appointed judges ...yep they gotta be right. Sigh....wearyesque , why bother explaining, these people are so sure as sure is, you won't ever educate them.

Last but not least ...then the jokers.  The shouting from the top deck of an open top bus to two cripples going side by side down the foothpath...." Who is winning the race? ". " keep the speed limits" , " love the hat" ....gee, do I know you? No, I don't ....intrusion in my space is seen as ok. Ah SHURE we're having a laugh....yeh, SHURE !  A laugh. Have a laugh.


Have a laugh

Crippledom is interesting...





No comments:

Post a Comment